What is a better idea for a beautiful Saturday afternoon than to go on a picnic with your favourite people? Picnic is a great opportunity for everyone to bond and become closer to one another and also, to our great Mother Nature.
Food and beverages surely are the most highlighted part of the cruise. Let’s get your act together and treat yourself and your family or friends a nice and memorable picnic with nice and tasty food.
Here are some kid-friendly food ideas we would recommend you to try for yourpicnic day.
Salad: A creamy macaroni salad would always be a good idea for a picnic (15 minutes/4 servings)
- Cook the pasta for 7 to 8 minutes; only add salt until it becomes tender. Let it drain.
- Mix mayonnaise and ½ cup of yogurt, Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon curry powder and salt, to taste. Stir in pasta, 1 grated carrot, 1 very finely chopped celery stalk and 6 very finely chopped sweet pickles. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
Sandwich: Ham and cheese muffaletta (15 minutes/8 servings)
- Cook 100g trimmed green beans with water about 2 – 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain beans and rinse them with cold water. Chop beans and stir them with 2 tablespoon mayonnaise and 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
- Inside the sandwich: Spread lettuce in the bottom layer, then half of the apple slices, then green bean mixture. Layer with ham, cheese and remaining apple slices.
Kebabs: Greek pork kebabs (15 minutes/4 servings)
- Mix ¼ cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oregano, 1 tablespoon red wine, 1 tablespoon chopped thyme, 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, ½ teaspoon lemon rind, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper. Stand for 10 – 30 minutes.
- Thread pork on skewers (if you use wooden ones, soak them for 30 minutes in advance). Grill pork for 10 minutes, turn occasionally or until the edges become browned and cooked through.
- Combine and stir 1 cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic and ½ teaspoon salt to make yogurt sauce.
- Serve pork along with yogurt sauce; add more vegetables if you like.
Drink: Kiwi yogurt (10 minutes/4 servings)
- Stir 6 finely chopped kiwi with 3 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
- Alternate layers of kiwi and 1,5 cups yogurt spooned into 4 cups.
- Serve immediately.
Fruit: You should bring fresh fruit – easy to eat fruits
- A picnic can’t be completed without fruits. Fruits are a fundamental factor in any picnics, you just can’t skip it.
- Fruit should be washed and cut.
- Some kinds of fruits people often bring when going on a picnic are: cherries, grapes, strawberries or raspberries, melons, oranges, apples, pineapples…
Snacks and desserts:
- Snacks: Bring snacks such as: crackers, nuts, cakes, cookies… so you can save a lot of time and also, they are easier for transportation.
- Desserts: Fresh pastries like fruit tarts, chocolate-covered strawberries….
Water and ice: Water is extremely important, never forget this!
- Basic water is everything: Remember to bring enough water for everyone to make sure no one is getting dehydrated, especially kids and during summer days.
- Cubed Ice: to complete your drinks and is also used to keep your food fresh in case you don’t have an ice box cooler. If you use ice to store your food, remember to put them into a plastic bag so cold water won’t leak all over your food.
Other types of beverages:
- There is a wide range of kid-friendly beverages for you to choose from: soft drinks, juices, milk…
- You can make your own fruit smoothies such as: Banana, strawberry, pineapple, raspberry, and carrot… smoothie or you can just combine some of them together to create an exotic flavour. Make them at home and bring them to the picnic site using a cooler for camping.
When you are basically done with your food and beverages, let’s move on and prepare other things:
- Should be sturdy, roomy and lightweight.
- Choose the right size (depends on the number of people) and fabric (depends on the kind of places).
Sheet or blanket: Preferably water repellent
- Large enough to have enough room for all people and picnic-goers.
- Must be lightweight and folds down small to fit in the picnic basket and easier to carry around.
Hygienic products:Sticky hands will ruin all the fun.
- Napkins/towels, wet wipes, hand cleanser.
- You will always need plates and cups, a knife and a cut board
Cooler and thermos flasks: Especially a good cooler is always needed in every season.
- You will need to keep your food and beverages fresh and chilled.
- A cooler will prevent your food especially the raw ones, from harbouring bacteria. For example in this case, when you have to bring raw meat to make grilled kebabs.
- You should choose a best cooler for camping because it is exclusively designed to store your food on the move and in a long time outside.
Camera:Capture the best moments with your camera
- Taking pictures is a best way to keep memorable moments.
Plastic Bags: Remember to always clean up before leaving the picnic site! Don’t litter the beautiful the scenery.
- Pack all your trash into the plastic bags and throw them into trash bins.